Montag, 26. Januar 2015

The bescarfed Aloysius at home in Witney, Oxfordshire - trigger of the teddybear renaissance.
Credit: town & country uk


"I have read it three times (four if you count last night, when I stayed up into the small hours revisiting its hallowed sites - Oxford, Brideshead, Venice, Morocco), and it has changed with each reading, or rather it has illuminated changes in me, the passing of time."

"Brideshead does this for me - reading it, I feel as if I'm revisiting scenes from my own past, viewing them through the novel's lens, with the same sense of melancholy nostalgia."

"I read Brideshead where I read so many great books - The Catcher in the Rye, Lolita, To the Lighthouse - in the cavernous bathroom of my dormitory in Field's House. My feet on the hot pipe that ran around the floor, my breath often misting in the air, I dreamed myself ahead to Oxford, to the heaven that would come after the purgatory of public school."


Alex Preston on Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. On my reading list for 2015.
town & country uk. winter 2014.

Read the full article here.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen